I believe in the comfort that comes from animals

Amanda - Lakewood, Colorado

I believe in the comfort that can come from an animal. Animals can bring joy and comfort, especially when you are feeling down. Animals can sense moods and know when you aren’t feeling well or are having a bad day, and are often there to just be with you. I have had animals my entire life and they have always been there for me when I needed them most. They will listen for as long as I need to talk, and won’t give advice when I don’t need it and they won’t spill your deepest, darkest secrets to anyone.

I have found that I can find the most comfort from horses and dogs. When I have a bad day and am feeling a little sad, I go out to my horse and groom him. He will listen to my problems without complaint and will nuzzle me to try to cheer me up. My dogs are also always there for me when I need them. They will snuggle with me and one of them will bring me things, such as napkins or coupons he steals from the table, to try to put a smile on my face.

Animals can also sense when another animal is not feeling well. My oldest dog recently had a seizure, and my other two dogs could tell something was wrong with him even if they didn’t know what. One of them brought him food because he couldn’t walk too well to his dish, and the other one licked his face, letting him know that she was there. Seeing this brought tears to my eyes because I could see how deeply they cared for each other.

I firmly believe that animals are a comfort to both people and other animals; whether you are feeling sad or sick, they are there for you either to listen or to cheer you up, or simply to be with you.