I Believe in Success

Prathyusha - San Antonio, Texas
Themes: work

I Believe in Success

When I was ten years old, my life was forever altered. Because of what happened that year, I became the person I am today. I’m so different now. If I were to go back in time, back to when I was much younger than ten, I wouldn’t be able recognize myself. I wouldn’t know the bouncing, happy child who was so naïve and innocent beyond belief. She would be a complete stranger to me. A stranger I have come to hate with an unfathomable passion. My father left the country of my birth when I was just nine years old. My mother, with my brother and I in tow, followed him obediently one year later. That’s how I ended up in this country. I didn’t know what to expect. I wasn’t happy or sad. I was just a child who was too naïve to understand anything. All of that changed soon enough.

Somehow, even at such a young age, I had figured out that the new life my parents had created for our family wasn’t satisfactory. I knew that they were frustrated and that sometimes they even wished to have never left home. Soon enough, I found out just how bad it was. My father, with his masters, a PhD, and years of experience as a college professor, was working alongside high school drop outs in order to put food on the table every night. My mother, completely helpless, enrolled in a community college to pursue a career that might one day actually provide for more than just our food. Even with this turmoil and frustration, I continued to be innocent and naïve. My parents made every effort to keep my brother and me completely unaware of our true position in life. Their tricks worked very well for a long time until one day when the facade they maintained so carefully just collapsed, and the ugly, naked truth was exposed. That day, I stood frozen with horror as I saw my father weeping openly. Nothing in the world meant failure or defeat like watching my father cry. That day, I grew up. My innocence and my naivety were gone in that one instant. From that day onwards, my purpose in life was to prove to my parents that they hadn’t failed nor had they been defeated. Every morning from that day onwards, I wake up and do everything to the best of my ability so that my parents can look at me and think that they have succeeded in raising a strong and able daughter. I have developed a hunger for success that has no boundaries. I believe in success. I believe that one day I will achieve success beyond measure.

Even to this day, after both my parents have achieved much success in their respective careers, my hunger is unquenched, and there’s nothing I want more in this world than success. That unforgettable event I witnessed as a ten year old still stands to be the driving force behind my hunger and will forever shape the course of my life.