All Black People love Chicken: The truth Behind Prejudice & Stereotyping

Brittany - Homewood, Illinois

“We live this lie of a color blind society and people say ‘I don’t see race’. As if though ignoring our differences is a good thing. I think that’s a real flaw ” Bernard has a very valid point that I think a lot of people have yet to realize. Prejudice ideals don’t only exist between races, they also exist within races. And these beliefs can be truly damaging.

For my best friend Kayla’s 16th birthday, she gathered all of her friends to go down town for the Taste of Chicago. The day was a lot of fun except the fact that I had started to get annoyed by one of Kayla’s church friends, a boy named Heith. He seemed extremely rude and ignorant. On the train ride back home he started going through and trying to remember everyone’s name. I looked out the window as he named everyone’s name correctly. When he got to me he tapped my shoulder and said “hey isn’t your name like Bre’onsha or something?” “Brittany”, I corrected him as politely as I could. Later we passed the less fortunate part of downtown when that same charming young man screeched, “oh we’re in the hood! Bre’onsha didn’t you grow up in the ghetto? Tell us where we are”. I decided to take the high road and simply not respond. But for the rest of the ride I tried to figure out why he had singled me of all people out. And why, despite my upbringing in southwest suburbia why he was so convinced I came from a less fortunate status. As I stared out my window the answer came to me by way of my own reflection. I was the darkest one in the group.

Have you ever felt the sting of a stereotypical insult? Of the 9,528 victims of hate crimes in 2004, 9,514 were associated with an incident involving a single bias. More than half of that number (53.8 percent), were victims of racial prejudice. Of those, 67.9 percent were victimized because of anti-black attitudes, and 20.1 percent were targets of anti- white sentiments . These beliefs can hurt and must be stopped. It only widens the gap between people in are supposed ‘great’ country. But how can a country call itself great it the only thing its inhabitants know about each other is common misconception? I believe in stopping prejudice based on skin color. We can’t continue to live in this world without seeing color. But we can take the time out to get to know the person beneath the surface. I believe this knew knowledge will lead to tolerance and understanding. And hate crimes will cease to exist. This I believe.