God’s Calling

Lynn - Hudson, Maine

I believe I was placed on this earth for a distinct purpose. The night my mother went into labor while she was pregnant with me was quite eventful. The room in which she gave birth to me was not cleaned due to my mother’s labor progressing so quickly. So, I entered this world in a “dirty” room. Over the night I developed a Group B Staph infection in my lungs. I remained in the hospital for three weeks after I was born. I spent one week at Eastern Maine Medical Center and three weeks at Maine Medical Center. The doctors told my parents my prognosis was not good. My parents kept positive thoughts and continued to drive to the hospital to visit me. I must either have been a trooper or God wanted me to stay on this earth. I recovered from the infection with no side effects. I believe God has a purpose for me on this earth.

While growing up, I always thought I wanted to become a teacher. Looking back I can see why that is. I enjoy being around people and would like to make an important impact in their lives. In high school I decided that I would like to become a Medical Assistant knowing that I would still be able to make that impact on people’s lives. After I graduated from high school, I went to college and became a Medical Assistant. I completed college but wasn’t completely sure that I was going to be able to do what I always wanted to do in this field and that was to make a positive difference in peoples lives. I ignored what my heart was telling me and just went about my daily business. It wasn’t until my daughter was born that my heart or God kept trying to tell me something again. They kept trying to tell me to go back to school and fulfill my goal. I don’t know if this feeling was arising again because I was now responsible for a little human being and I needed to make positive choices for her. My heart kept telling me to go back to school, and finally one day I listened.

The day I decided to listen was a day I will never forget. I was at home with my daughter when my husband came home from work. We were talking about how each of our days had gone. When we were finished talking about our days, I looked at him and said “What do you think of me going back to school?” He replied by saying he would support any decision I wanted to make. Then he proceeded to ask me why it took me so long to make the decision. He knew from the moment I graduated I wanted to go back to school to become a nurse, but he never pushed the subject. He knew that someday I would want to go back but didn’t know when.

I think that if it wasn’t for my daughter being born, God wouldn’t have kept telling me to go back to school and fulfill my true goal to become a nurse. I believe that if God didn’t keep trying to tell me this, I probably would never have gone back to school to fulfill that goal.