The Power of Sisterhood

Elizabeth - Smyrna, Tennessee

I didn’t choose to be a twin. It was something that was predestined, and on August 13, 1990, destiny became a reality. My mother gave birth to two healthy baby girls, and from that day on we would forever be sisters. From birth, my identical twin sister and I shared everything and wore matching outfits like normal twins do. You couldn’t tell us apart from each other, even if we wore name tags.

From homemade forts in the living room constructed from extra blankets and couch pillows, to sharing a bedroom and whispering secrets in the dark, as we grew older, we grew closer. And I slowly began to understand God’s gift of sisterhood.

No matter what friends came and went out of my life, and how many times I got my heart broken, Bekah was always there for me. She listened to me cry at night over silly boys, and was always there to go to the mall with. Being twins, there is a unique understanding and connection between Bekah and me; we can finish each other’s sentences and even feel pain for each other. People usually believe it to be a myth, but when my twin’s wisdom teeth were coming in, I had the excruciating pain in my mouth. No one would believe us, but we knew it was true; we had the ultimate connection.

Our relationship strengthened throughout the difficult years known as high school with its relentless rumors and the drama filled hallways, but always we were on each other’s side and we always had the other’s back. Nothing would ever come between us, I will always choose Bekah over anything else, and I know it’s the same way for her. I don’t believe I would’ve made it through high school without my sister.

After graduating from high school Bekah and I both began to write the next chapter in each of our lives. Bekah decided to attend a college four hours away from my college of choice. We now each have different friends and live different lifestyles, however, we still talk everyday. I look forward every evening to my twin’s phone call and couldn’t go a single day without it. Two hundred miles may separate us, but the belief and strength of sisterhood keeps us together.