Balance

Steven - Lakewood, Colorado

I believe the world has a way of balancing all the good and the bad that goes on in it. It makes something beautiful out of something ugly. This can be seen all through nature and in human society. In nature the necessity for some animals to kill and eat others is an ugly process, but ultimately allows that animal to keep living. A beautiful has been made sacrifice has been made by the prey. In society, a tragedy tends to unite people in a time of despair. September 11th is a prime example of people uniting after a tragedy.

Although it isn’t on a grand scale like September 11th, I witnessed the world balancing itself when my Grandpa died a few years back.

My dad and his siblings rarely talked and we always spent holidays with my mom’s side of the family. I’m not exactly sure why my dad never talked to his brothers and sister much, but I’m sure he had his reasons. All I know is it all changed when my Grandpa got lung cancer.

Now they were kind of forced to see each other, or they would run into each other at my Grandpa’s while visiting him. Gaps were starting to be bridged.

Unfortunately, the price for unity was my Grandpa’s death. However, as I said the good came from the bad and my Dad made amends with his family. The world had balanced itself.