The Power of Faith

Janna - Presque Isel, Maine

I believe in the power of faith. Faith can overcome obstacles that we cannot overcome by ourselves, and faith can even help us find ourselves. It can help us find ourselves by making us look inside at what we really believe. I think that it takes knowing what you believe to really know who you are. Different people have different definitions of what faith really is, but I think that faith is belief in something higher than you. Even though you can’t see it you know that it is there.

While I was growing up, going to church was always a huge part of my life. Every Sunday I would get up and go to the ten o’clock service with my parents and my brother. So, I have always believed that there was a higher power, and that it was God. I believe that praying and a belief in a higher power such as God can give a person strength and hope. I believe that if you pray about something, God will always help you. However even though that is what faith is to me, I think that people can have other faiths that are just as important.

I believe that a nurse can have faith in a patient’s recovery, and that if the patient knows that their nurse has faith in them, it makes it easier for them to have faith in themselves and their own recovery. A few years ago, a woman whom I have always been very close to was diagnosed with breast cancer. This woman was my babysitter from the time I was four years old all the way up through elementary school. She is also a distant relative. I would go there every day after school, and I was always very close to her and thought of her more as another mother or aunt to me. She is active in her church and has a strong faith, and when she was diagnosed with breast cancer this never changed. Everyone prayed for her a lot, and I’m sure she prayed every day. Not only did she have a strong religious faith, but she also kept the a positive attitude the whole time that she was sick and going through treatments. She never gave up faith that she would get better. She did beat her cancer and is cancer-free today. I believe that her faith in God and faith in herself helped her not only recover but recover more quickly.

The patient is not the only person that has to have faith. The nurse also needs to have faith not only in the patient and his or her recovery, but also a faith in his or herself and a faith that things will turn out alright. A nurse will have good days and bad days and needs to have faith that everything will turn out okay and you will get through the bad days. I believe that with a strong faith a person can overcome obstacles that seem impossible to overcome.