The Power of Music

Katrina - Homewood, Illinois

An ancient Greek Philosopher once said, “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mid, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” That’s how I feel when I hear a song. A flood of memories washes through my mind as it brings me back to a specific day in my life. It drizzles down buried feelings and experiences that I held close to my heart. A tear sheds from my eye as I just experienced everything all over again. I can relate to the song, and I feel deeply for what the artist is trying to express. The second the song ends, this feeling lingers on, and I can’t shake the feeling until it grows fainter with every second that reality approaches.

Whenever I hear the song “Blind” by Lifehouse, my stomach begins to tighten. I take in a deep breath, and a cloud of memories and hidden emotions unlock itself from the treasure chest of my heart. I think of my freshman year in the fall where it brings me back to where everything was just beginning; my life was just about to take off. I remember it all: the football games; my first pep-rally; the guy that really wasn’t good enough for me, but I couldn’t let go; the guy that was really there for me, but I was too late to realize it. I remember the first fight I had with my friend that ended our friendship, and I remember all the fun I had with my friends, just being ourselves so carefree, young and happy. I remember the hurt I felt and the song I kept on repeat to soothe my pain. I remember being so angry, and the music I blasted to get rid of that hurt. Music is an expression of these feelings. It brings about memories of joy and love and the things in-between from fear to pain.

I believe that positive music can really change a person’s life. At times when life becomes so unfair, it’s easy for a song to temporarily relieve you. It allows you to totally escape from your problems and situations, even if for a little while. Because at that moment, suddenly, you’re not so alone. You have something to relate to; something only you can feel so deeply that it carries on with you, maybe even for a lifetime. A song befriends you as a tinge of hope erupts from a seemingly vast pool of darkness. I know that music can change a person’s life, if not for a lifetime, then maybe for an instant. It’s something really intimate that the listener can create- a bond between the listener and the artist. Music can fill in the crevices of a broken heart, or can outline an already existing heart, making it fuller and larger with every new experience and memories life can bring its way.