Go Ahead, Dress Up

Sarah - Brooklyn, New York

I believe in dress up. I don’t care if you’re three and you decide that you want to be Sleeping Beauty, or if you’re forty years old and on your way to a costume party dressed up as Big Bird. DRESS UP. When we get the chance to be liberated from the everyday person we are, we must grab it. Although it is easier for a young child, not yet bounded by social convention, to dress up spontaneously, everyone should dress up. Enjoyable and relaxing, dressing up loosens you and lets you be the person you always dreamed about or to just be silly for a little while.

Adults often lose track of what they really love for what pays the bills. Dress-up can release them into the dream they thought had faded away. We all get too caught up in the stress of appearances, work, school, and need to free ourselves from the tight, rough ropes that tie us to our chairs of stress. I believe that dress up is the cure. It lets you be free and step into the shoes of another no matter how outrageous you feel.

When I was in pre-school, I always dressed up as a princess. I tugged at the cheap purple dress as it clung to my soft skin and then squeezed my size thirteen feet into the hard plastic high heels. Grabbing my tiara, I marched up the stairs to my mother, while clutching the sides of my dress. “I am the princess and you are the queen. Look! My tiara!” I dreamt of being a princess; Cinderella was my favorite. One morning when I was five, after watching Cinderella the night before, I grabbed a pair of small red scissors from my mom’s desk and snuck away into the bathroom. On my tippy-toes I stood on my small stool stretching up to the mirror. Staring at my reflection, I could see my plain blonde hair that hung along the side of my face and immediately decided I was going to be Cinderella. I snipped away, watching feathery blonde locks fill the sink below. My mom opened the bathroom door, her mouth dropped, her eyebrows pulled to the sky, and for now, dress up was over. No longer was I Cinderella, the beautiful young blonde with gorgeous hair, I was just Sarah. I didn’t cut my hair after that, but I did dress up because I still wanted to be pretty like a princess. Doesn’t every girl?

I never became a princess. Never close to one. But if I had the chance, I would go back and be just a little kid again, just a little princess. Because I believe, I believe in dress up.