Give Everyone a Chance

Ashley - Charleston, Maine
Themes: tolerance

I believe that everyone should be given a chance, a chance to show us who they really are, a chance to teach us something.

New life should be given a chance. When I was three years old, my mother was seven months pregnant with my youngest sister and went for a routine ultrasound. At that appointment, the doctors discovered that something was terribly wrong. My dad and mom were told that the chances of the baby living long after birth were quite slim. They were given the option of terminating the pregnancy. This was actually the recommendation of the doctor. My parents did what they knew was right; they gave Victoria a chance. Her short life taught me more about love, compassion, courage, and hope than any other person or event. After her death at the age of nine, I learned a lot about loss and grief. If my parents had not given her a chance at life, I would be a completely different person.

Everyday people should also be given a chance. When you meet people at the mall or on the street, it is easy to judge them based on their appearance or actions, but we never really know why people do what they do. At the restaurant where I work, I meet a lot of people who come off as rude, cranky, or ignorant. Most of these people are completely opposite when given a chance. The other day at work, there was an elderly couple who were giving me a hard time. They were needy, rude, and yelled “hey you” when they wanted me to bring them their check. I was rightly frustrated and irritated by these people. What had I done to make them so grumpy? Instead of treating them in a similar manner, I decided to continue to be as nice as I would if they were my own grandparents. After all, I didn’t know who they were or why they were acting as they were. After a few encounters with this couple, I got to know them better. They told me about their difficult past and how they were lonely. Because I gave these people a chance, I gained two new friends.

Give everyone a chance and you may be surprised at how much you learn and grow.