Are we in motion or does the world move around us?

Michael - FPO
Themes: humanism

I sit here in the airport and I’m forced to wonder if anyone here is even noticing me. I look around and I see these faces. Pretty faces, ugly faces, fat faces and thin faces, but everyone moves with a glazed over look and you’re forced to wonder if they even have any idea what is happening around them or who the people are that they are so casually dismissing with their non-caring eyes. And yet.. through all of this you’re observing these incredibly intimate moments. The father coming back from Iraq to his four young children, the joy so palpable, so real and so close to home that I was reduced to tears, the scorned lovers who manage to reclaim what they’ve lost for that one fleeting moment when she comes through the gate and just sees the man she loved.. before the moment that she remembers, or maybe realizes for the first time, how dead that man really is.

And yet, through all of this, I sit here observing. They say we’re always in motion, always changing, always affecting everything around us, that it’s impossible to be a non-interfering observer, that the fundamental premise of science(that we can observe and learn without affecting or changing) is blatantly without merit or worth.

And yet I know that these people aren’t noticing me. Why would they? I sit in a nondescript black chair with a nondescript laptop, a plain backpack, popular, and thus underwhelming, hair, generic clothing and my height is hidden by my slouch. There is nothing special here and the brains around me understand that. They absorb their surroundings, their quest for the gate, the flight, the adventure(but more likely mundane business of life) and discard those things that are unimportant. So the question then… am I truly in motion, or is the world just moving around me. Am I affecting things or just being affected.

But then it happens… a child wanders by. A child who has not yet learned that in our modern, and antagonistic, society it is not acceptable to stare. But stare this child does. A stare born of amazement with all that is occurring around them. A first trip the airport? Maybe not, but definitely the first they will remember. And what is this child, this little girl, doing? She stares at me as I stretch. Because children see all. They don’t have the fine tuned apathy and discomfort that develops in our brains later on, they can’t control the human curiosity that should define us all. they want to see all, and know all, and hear and feel and drink and eat and learn and, though they don’t know what to call it, love all. They want to experience everything, they have not yet been broken of that most amazing of things… the human spirit.

And then it all flows in at once. I try to be invisible again but it doesn’t work. Suddenly I feel not just her eyes on me, but notice the quick and hurried glances of the people as they move by me, occasionally holding my return glance for a moment, as if to say “Yes, even in this hurried modern age, we are still connected, we still belong, and we are still all human”.. and so I realize, as hard as I try to avoid it… I’m just as in motion as those around me. I sit and I try to let my life pass me by, try to avoid making the decisions that need to be made, ignore the problems that I need to solve.. all in the hopes that life will pass me by and I won’t need to make any decisions at all.

And yet all I really want to do is be a vulture. I want to sit here and feed off the happiness of these people, the people seeing their loved ones, the people marching towards a flight with a sense of unbridled hope and desire, a poignant sense of what is to come, and yet they are all tinged with sadness.. because all of them, all of us, even me, leave a little bit behind in every airport, every plane, that they visit. So I sit here still, the odors, images, tastes and sounds passing by me, and know that as much as I wish I wasn’t, and as hard as I try not be,… I am indeed part of this chaotic motion, not an observer, taking a little from each experience I share, even if from a distance.

This is what it means to be human, and it exists in every airport, in every country, in every city, in all the worlds. It’s fleeting though, because it only exists in those moments.. those moments of extreme happiness… that is humanity.