Discriminated by the Vending Machine

Ashley - Apple Valley, Minnesota

I believe in every wrinkled U.S. dollar bill that has been discriminated by a vending machine. In God We Trust your worth and value. So, here’s to you–the used, and abused dollar bill.

I choose not to neglect the dollar bill in his darkest hour when his edges are torn, his sides are creased, and good ol’ George is distorted. I have faith that he will fulfill his duty despite his ragged appearance.

I watch him struggle, and sacrifice for my thirsty needs. He suffers rejection after rejection, yet failure is never in his name. As secular as people might describe him, I’ll have to agree to disagree. He’s got more Jesus in him than most. For “I was thirsty and you gave me drink.” For I was thirsty, and he gave me Coke.

Now, this might seem like a bunch of nonsense, and too ridiculous to believe in. However, as a teenage nursing home employee (excuse me, senior citizen independent/ assisted living helper in case of emergency, which is somewhat politically correct), this personal philosophy rings true.

The more hours I spend listening about one’s German heritage, nodding my head as a nasty old woman describes liberalism as a “mental disorder”, belly laughing when apartment number 37 calls down with nothing but his fart machine, or talking to the Half-Nut (as he calls himself) until somber tears meet quivering lips at the sound of his child’s name… The more hours I spend here rather than being the rebellious, law-defying teenager… Then the more I realize the value of old age and people in general.

I believe that every soul has a purpose, and every purpose shall be known despite gender, race, religion, sexuality, or age. And from this acceptance, I receive the power of knowledge. My branches bear the triumphant stories and mistakes of mankind, which strengthens my trunk, and feeds my leaves of green.

So, ending on this note of knowledge and trees, I’ve brought us full circle (at least in my mind). For trees birth paper, and paper can present itself as our appreciated dollar bill. So, what? If your dollar bill is contorted in every direction, then take the time to trick the vending machine…Smooth that baby out! If your bill is split in half, then repair its divided self. So what! Wrinkles and all, he’s manageable and worth your while. Heck, a dollar is a dollar. And a person is a person. Basic respect for all of humanity is a given.

I have learned that we all are of the same tree, and together we stand. In God We Trust, this I believe.