Birthdays for All

Alyssa Sedillo - San Antonio, Texas

I believe that everyone should be celebrated on their birthday.

From the girl that hasn’t had a party since 7th grade because she doesn’t know who to invite. The friends she has since middle school or the ones she met in high school that she eats lunch with every day? Do you only invite the ones you are close to or everyone you know? Will they like each other? Will their feelings be hurt? Will they hate me?

From the boy who never had a party because they couldn’t afford it. Where would I have it at? What could we do? It’s fine. Don’t worry about it. I’m use to it now.

Or from the girl that had a party every year of her existence. As early as 7 in the morning you can smell the blueberry muffins baking and hear her mom toil away putting up decorations. The excitement in her eyes hide that she couldn’t sleep last night because of a sort of Christmas-night syndrome. There is a new toy in her backpack and a note in her lunch, from kinder to junior year. The themes of her parties have ranged from princess to video games to Beanie Babies, with pictures documenting each hung on the fridge.

Not all of us celebrate Christmas or Easter. Only the U.S. has a reason to shoot fireworks on July 4th. My strange neighbor down the street hates Halloween, kids or no kids. My strange friend hates Valentines day, boyfriend or no boyfriend. Not all of us will get married or graduate, but all of us were born. Really, that’s the only thing the whole world has in common, we were brought into this world at a certain time on a certain day. And that is reason to celebrate.