Sticks and Stones

Ashley - Stephens City, Virginia
Themes: tolerance

I believe in tolerance. People are always finding new reasons to hate people. Nobody cares if you are nice or mean—they care about what you look like and your personal life. It seems that people take one look at someone and immediately decide if they want to talk to them…or torture them. If people could just learn to tolerate other people, the world would be much happier. I’m not saying people should change who they are, but they should express it differently.

People discriminate against homosexuals, different races, ethnicities, sexes, religions, and they even go down to what your hair color is and what store you shop at. I believe that all of this is wrong.

I walk through the hallways and I hear people called the worst names, and sometimes teens don’t even realize that what they are doing actually hurts people. It seems to be normal to call someone a name or harass them.

If you were to look at every single person on this planet from the inside, we would all be the same. We are all human, all homo sapiens, and I do not quite understand what gives one human the right to discriminate against another. Not a single person on this planet deserves to be treated like dirt, and yet we still treat them that way.

It did not used to be this way. My friend and I were talking the other day about how people have changed since high school has started. I remember the days when kids of every race, religion and size could go out and play and not have to worry about being harassed.

Kids are like sponges, they absorb what is around them. They hear and learn about how to hurt people, and they use it. A parent may make a racial slur, or a television show may bring up certain things to a child. Things like that always happen, and they are going to happen. Parents are not going to stop who they are, and television is television. The only way to make it stop is to find some way to open people’s eyes, to understand that what they say sticks.

Millions of people have died because of their race, religion or orientation since the beginning of time. I am worried that today’s little slur will be tomorrows’ drive-by-shooting or murder. People should all just get along, no matter what separates them. This I believe.