One Tragedy, One Miracle

Billy-Rae` - Brewer, Maine
Themes: purpose, setbacks

It is a tragedy to awaken and find that you were the only survivor in the automobile accident that took the life of many and shattered the hearts of their loved ones. It is a miracle to hold a child whose heart beats in the palm of your hand, thanks to a one-chance successful transplant. I believe that one individual’s tragedy can be another individual’s miracle.

A motorcycle accident left a husband and a wife in critical care. Although they survived, the husband had to have both of his legs amputated and the wife had to have one amputated as well. Both patients were left with brain trauma but the woman’s condition was worse. As debilitating as losing a limb can be, it does not compare to the debilitation one’s soul undergoes with the loss of a spirit. The woman’s memory still fails her, but for the man the reality of their lives sits on his chest like a ton of rocks, crushing all that lies beneath it. To the family, friends, and medical team, the life of these two people was a miracle. Through the eyes of the man who blames himself for the accident and the state in which it left his wife, the accident is nothing but a tragedy.

Believing that things happen for a reason is not an excuse, but simply a way of offering forgiveness to one’s self and others. Believing can provide relief to the heartache one undergoes as there is an ease in knowing that somehow, somewhere there is a positive outcome to the occurrence which nobody wished. Believing is not simple nor is it painless, but it is comforting, and sometimes a little comfort can spread for miles in a broken heart.

I believe that in our lives there are lessons to be learned and it is unfortunate that sometimes is takes a tragedy to teach us those lessons. Human beings hope that, and many times think, “it will never happen to us”. More times than not it does and they unintentionally learn an undesired lesson. One of the greatest lessons ever to be learned is to count your blessings and to never take anything for granted because the day you do, could be the day that that thing that you hold so dear to your heart could be taken from you in an instant.

One must always bear in mind that there is something to be taken from every tragedy and something to be remembered from every miracle. Remind yourself that when you are carrying the weight of your own tragedy, you have lifted the load of another’s. Someday when your load seems light, never forget that someone else may be helping to carry yours. I am a firm believer that every event in our lives, good or bad, has a purpose and reason for occurring. The explanation for why certain events in our life take place is often faint and can seem unclear. My patients have taught me that in order to push forward and regain their lost strength it is crucial that they believe some things in life are simply meant to be. Some would even say that it is an obligation to our hearts, to believe.