I Believe in Guidelines.

Brian - Provo, Utah
Themes: sports

I believe in guidelines. It is amazing to me that a simple line can decide the outcome of so many things. A mere strip of paint can turn a drive to the store into a rush to the hospital, or a perfect record into an upsetting season. Truly, we are guided by lines. A once smooth white line, now covered in oil and tire rubber, constantly succeeds in ensure that each who approaches it comes to a full and complete stop. A similar line, only with a strong yellow tint, maintains a majestic-like order where head-on collisions would normally rule. Our lives are controlled and guided by strips of colored paint, strategically placed on the asphalt. We place our lives on those lines. I also believe that a great sports play depends not on the skill of the players, but on their ability to be ruled by lines. A “skilled” running back realized that his team will only succeed if he can carry a ball across the goal line. A talented hockey player realized that his breakaway goal will only count if the puck crosses the blue line before him. A star quarterback is ruled by an INVISIBLE line, knowing that he cannot throw the ball once passing the line of scrimmage. A line, visible or not, is the sole difference between a breakaway and an offside whistle. A line can change a fourth down to a touchdown. A line controls whether a basket wins or ties a game. These are the guidelines in which I believe.