Altruism Exists

Ty - Fargo, North Dakota

I believe that altruism exists. In a society of immediate gratification, many individuals will tell you that it does not. That it is merely a myth, wrapped in the cloth of good

expectations. However this cannot be true, since I have seen firsthand the kindness of those serving in my community.

Everyday, through the will of their own mentalities, numerous individuals in our community overcome such cynicism. As someone who is active and surrounded by individuals serving those less fortunate, I have truly developed an appreciation for what they call a “altruistic” mentality. The belief that within their own hands, people serving those less fortunate have the ability to change the world in a positive manner. That they have the ability to take a tattered life and guide them back onto the road of wellness once again.

In maintaining this mentality, such individuals are often faced with the abrupt reality that there are people they will attempt to help, whom will never truly take advantage of what is offered to them. However time after time when action is needed, they continue to offer up honest service in good faith. Occasionally after doing so, I have seen these individuals step away from the situation only to find themselves

questioning what good it really accomplished. Even doubting the graciousness of their honest acts and minimizing their expectations. However is an act of good faith with no

expectations, not altruism in itself?

Each day altruistic acts are carried out by millions of people from all walks of life.

Individuals that are your friends, neighbors, and sometimes complete strangers. They

perform these because they believe that at the core of any circumstance…..people are

inherently good. To paraphrase Jean de la Bruyere, “Those who do good and suffer on the account of the good they do, become heroic.” I have seen such people. I have seen them serving in my community. They are what is profoundly good about life.