The Power of Words

Alexandra - Marietta, Georgia

I believe in the power of words. With words, we have the ability to inspire, inform, create, understand, and of course, communicate. We often take for granted the ability that words give us to express ourselves. I recently learned how words can have a major impact on people. Even just a “hello” can have a profound effect on a person.

We were having a team meeting, just for the girls. Some girls were having problems with each other, and were attempting to talk it out. All of the sudden, a usually quiet girl, Taylor, broke down in tears. No one was sure why, but once she was able to collect herself, she told us. She was one of many shy girls on our team, and she had reached her breaking point.

“I’m tired of being ignored,” Taylor told us. Several girls began to cry as Taylor explained the pain that she, and many others, had been feeling. We all knew it was true. These girls, who were our age, and who were on our team, were never acknowledged. They never got a “hello” or “how are you?” from anyone on the team. They were hurt, and they were lonely. I thought about my life, and I was grateful that I never had to experience anything like that before. I also felt terribly about the way we had been treating those girls. They deserved just as much attention as the rest of us. When I left practice that evening, I made sure to say “goodbye” to all of the girls, and I know they appreciated it. Day by day, I got to know all of them better, and it was evident by their smiles that even though we were only having a simple conversation, it meant so much more to them.

What is to be learned from all of this? People must realize the power of words—make small talk with the pizza guy, say “thank you” to the man at the grocery store, and say “hi” to the kid at school who no one talks to, because you never know—it could make their day.