I believe in memories

Rachel - marietta, Georgia

I Believe in Memories

I believe in memories, events that have impacted your life so much so that they linger in your mind as if for safe keeping. Generally this is how memories are perceived. In my experience though the definition is far more vast. A memory, although most of the time not realized, is valuable. It’s not just a silly story from earlier that day, or an embarrassing tale from when you were little. No. It’s a lesson that will guide you through life and the new memories you have yet to make. A reference tool for the future. A guideline for the rest of your life.

One of my fondest memories is an experience that I will never forget. I had gone to a weekend leadership convention by myself and was determined to utilize the new skills and tactics I would be taught while also meeting new people. Many of the participants my age had attended the convention the year before. Everyone else knew each other and as the group of students sat in circles on the auditorium floor they began to reminisce on last years happenings. Feeling a little left out I budged my way into one of the circles and attempted to get involved in the conversation. They chattered on and on about memories they had made from last year and as interesting as their stories were I just couldn’t seem to connect to the other kids. Discouraged by my failure to make friends I removed myself from the circle and sat down alone to think. Being surrounded by the banter of other peoples memories caused me to invoke some of my own. A particular past event made its way into my mind and as I remembered the familiar memory I began to giggle. I probably looked ridiculous laughing to myself in a room full of people but none the less the thought of the memory brought me reassurance and comfort when I was just beginning to feel out of place

.

“What are you laughing at?” startled by the appearance of another person I snapped out of my daydream and quickly responded,

“Oh it was nothing.” The boy took and interest in my unwillingness to share and sat down. He pleaded for me to elaborate on my reason for laughter and finally becoming annoyed by his prodding I gave in. The boy chuckled at my memory and clearly satisfied with what he had heard proceeded to share with me a similar memory of his which made me chuckle as well. Over the course of an hour we share numerous memories with each other, communicating simply by reminiscing.

Through the mere exchange of memories the boy and I were able to connect and feel comfortable with one another almost instantly. The hour passed and to our great surprise it was time for dinner. We walked off to the meal arm and arm as if we had been best friends forever. The hour of us purely exchanging memories caused us to in turn make yet another memory, the memory of the beginning of our friendship. To this day we remain close and keep in touch, never forgetting our immediate connection.

Sometimes you can feel alone in a room full of people. No one is ever really alone though for memories always remain in the back of our minds, guiding us through new experiences and always reminding us of those significant events that have impacted our lives.