I Believe in Time

Koko - Marietta, Georgia
Themes: carpe diem

Each day presents us with an infinite amount of possibilities. We are given the choice to seize the day, or simply live, letting the hours slowly pass by. Either way, we are given another twenty four hours to do something spectacular with our lives. I believe that each day is precious time that will never be given back, and every day should be spent taking advantage of the opportunities we have.

I met Savannah on the first day of Kindergarten. Throughout my beginning elementary school days, she was my best friend. We were inseparable as girls often tend to be. We used to put our mats next to each other during nap time, and everyday on the playground was a new adventure. The next year, we were in separate classes; knowing that a close friend was no longer in your classes almost made it seem as if they were miles away, not just down the hall. So, steadily we grew apart. We never had a class after that first year, but we were in our school musicals. By this point, we were just acquaintances, yet I still remember laughing at the music that we sang and the ridiculous dance moves we made.

Upon graduation from elementary school, we lost touch altogether. Years went by and the thought of elementary school was long gone. I moved states, began high school, and didn’t take a single look back. One day last fall, I received a call from a close friend from home. “Savannah has a brain tumor; the doctors gave her three months”, she told me. The thought of someone as happy, caring, and giving as her having something so horrid was incomprehensible to me. On May 23, 2008, Savannah passed away. While we had never been “best friends”, the impact her death had on me was profound. As the realization of her death flooded over me, I did not cry a single tear.

While I did not shed a tear, her death plagued me for days. Something we so seldom realize is how quickly we forget events, such as deaths. The memory of them fades rapidly as we try to recollect every moment with them in an effort to immortalize them. However, I made a promise that I would never do this, simply because of the way that she had helped me. Savannah took full advantage of the days she was given, even up until the last. She never would have complained about her situation, or how she thought her life was terrible. Since her death, I have realized that someone as happy as her was given such limited time; however, I have yet to encounter problems nearly as great as hers.

While Savannah was given such limited time, think of what we have been given. Take each day and relish it and revel in the millions of opportunities we have. Don’t let a single day pass by that is wasted, do it for Savannah.