John - Marietta, Georgia
Themes: setbacks

What do star athletes, successful business owners, and popular government officials all have in common? The answer is that they all have the ability to unite people. Whether it was their teammates, coworkers, or their nations, these leaders achieved greatness by unification. Uniting others is vital for accomplishing tasks. When people come together, anything is possible. I believe that people must unite others, and that this unification is the only path to success.

Several months ago, tragedy struck my high school. A fellow classmate of mine was killed in a traffic accident. This event shook everyone in the community. We grieved, teary-eyed and devastated for the loss of this friend, and felt shocked by the tremendous loss we seemed to have faced. However, during this period of grieving, something unusual happened; the entire community seemed to come together. In the days following the accident, the cooperation and tolerance of students and families reached levels I had never seen. People of all different social and economic classes seemed to become one. Everyone in my school, despite their social statuses and friendships, came together like a family during these hard times. It was like the tragedy had brought us all closer. This shared feeling of sorrow and melancholy had united us. Throughout the times of sadness, we all had worked together respectfully and efficiently. Our common worries and petty concerns of everyday life had been overcome. I then realized how successful humans could be if they learned to unite as my community had during our mourning. I wondered to myself, ‘Why does it take a tragedy to bring people together? If grieving can unite us, why can’t happiness?’

I believe that people must unite to achieve. I have seen the affect of unification on my community. If everyone could learn to unite, then government failure, religious war, and poverty, among other things, could be done away with. If everyone realized that many problems in life could be solved through simple emotional and mental connections, then the world would be a much better place.

The accident, however tragic and depressing, was undoubtedly an eye-opener for me in terms of my beliefs. I don’t know whether or not others will take as much from the experience as I did, but I believe I have found the key to success. Unification will be the strategy I use to reach for success and accomplish my goals for the rest of my life. Great leaders throughout history have been uniting their people; now it is our responsibility to step up and unify. I believe that the perfect world will only be achieved when people learn to come together and unite for a greater good.