True Friends are Forever

Jasmine - Newport, North Carolina

I believe that a true friend is the best thing you can ever have.

People say that middle school is a time when you find out who your real friends are. You know the ones that are always at your house, helps you with your homework, and calls your mom their “mommy”. My three best friends are way more than that to me. They are so close I call them my brothers and sisters. They are always there for me, and I will always be there for them. We do fight with each other, but if any of us need anything we are right there for each other.

When I was in sixth grade my great-grandmother passed away. My beat friends were right beside me. They didn’t want me to be alone. It was really hard for me, because my great-grandmother was also one of my beat friends. We used to talk about everything, and she used to help me with my homework. We had a really good relationship. When she passed I cried for about two weeks straight. I considered her one of my true friends, and I had just lost her. I felt crushed.

Almost two years ago, one of my beat friends died in a dirt bike accident. After she died, there were people at school that saying a whole bunch of bad things about her. For the first week, I wouldn’t say anything. I would just sit there while people talked about her. Finally, I spoke up, and told them exactly what was on my mind. I got five days of detention, for speaking up for my best friend. I didn’t get into trouble outside of school, but it was worth getting in trouble during school.

I also believe in standing up for what you believe. If standing or speaking up for what is right gets you into trouble, then so be it. It all depends on how far you are willing to go when you speak up.