Tetris Blocks and Holes Between

Gabrielle - Marietta, Georgia

I believe that all of life’s problems can be boiled down to a game of Tetris. The game gives you different blocks – you can’t choose which ones you get; you can only decide how to use the blocks you receive. At first it’s easy, but then you make a mistake. And another. And another. And suddenly you find yourself in a mess of Tetris blocks and the holes between them. The game will continue, even if you feel its too much. So all you can do is control what you have and work on cleaning the mess you’ve made of Tetris blocks. I believe that this applies to life too. All mistakes can be fixed,

I still look back on one of my biggest mistakes and hang my head in deep, scarlet shame. I was thirteen and technologically deprived compared to my peers. My parents finally had given me my own computer and email address, with the condition that I use them solely for homework.

Of course, being thirteen and stupid, the first thing I did was make a personal blog, then my secret email address, then the whimsical accounts to random websites, and eventually a MySpace. The internet became my playground; it was the only place I was free from my parents’ judgement. I was free for three months before my parents found out. They had been suspicious, but they trusted me. More than I deserved. I’ll never forget the shock that crossed my mother’s face the night she walked in on me writing a blog entry. The pain and havoc that followed that shock was unlike any reaction I have ever seen. What would follow would be a meticulous examination of every keystroke I made, every website I visited, every secret I’d kept. I couldn’t even stand to be in the same room while my parents scrutinized all of my past adventures on the web. I sat outside the door frame, listening through the open door to my mother’s tears as my father read my words out loud. The words and phrases sounded so alien in my father’s voice, I could barely recognize them as my own. I became a different person in the months I was free, and I wasn’t sure how much I liked who I became.

That night, I thought I was going to forever live mortified by my actions. Worst of all was losing my parents’ trust. However I soon figured out that I could fix my mistakes. It wasn’t easy, but it was possible. I just had to take things one at a time, like lines of Tetris towers, using the blocks I had and filling the holes in between. Like a giant Tetris tower, my embarrassment decreased as time wore on, and I learned from the mistakes I made. I would still make new ones, and learn from those too. I learned that all messes can be cleaned, like the ones in a game of Tetris.