I Believe in Change

Johnny - Marietta, Georgia
Themes: change

There are people who chase it, and there are people who shudder at the thought of it. Some people embrace it as a part of life while others avoid it like the plague. But regardless of how much people avoid it, change is bound to appear time and time again within everyone’s life. Change is outside of our control and is bound to happen in life, so all we can do is decide how to deal with it. While many people fear change and the unpredictability that accompanies it, I believe that change is a positive factor that does not bring problems, but instead provides opportunities.

In the first grade, I attended Vanderlyn Elementary School in Dunwoody, Georgia. My family had lived in Dunwoody for as long as I could remember, and the possibility of living anywhere else had never even crossed my mind, until the day that my parents announced my father’s new job in Marietta, and when my mother explained that we would be moving, I was shocked by the sudden, drastic changes. I then found out that we would be changing school also, and the cumulative surprise of the news became too much for me to handle.

A few weeks and several tantrums later, my family was settled into our new home, but I had certainly not settled into my new life. And although my parents constantly assured me that I would like my new school and new friends, I could not bring myself to accept that I would be living in this new place. After consistent interrogations from my parents asking, “Did you meet any new friends today?” and my dependable response of “No,” I had finally given up hope that this was all just a practical joke.

Since I was never the most social person at school, I felt like I was entering a foreign country and had no friends to fall back on in my new environment. At first, I stumbled awkwardly through school and believed that this was some sort of divine punishment for breaking a lamp or something else I had done. But one day, another boy in the class sensed my troubles and extended his hand to save me from my downward spiral of loneliness. It was not until we began talking that I began to understand that the move to our new home was really a blessing in disguise. It was an opportunity to open up and accept the social challenges of making new friends.

Although the news that we were moving seemed like it was sent by the devil, it actually ended up making a positive influence on my life. The move not only forced me to make new friends, but it also taught me how to do so and helped me overcome one of the character flaws of my childhood. It was thorough this major change in my life that I began to stop avoiding changes, and I began to appreciate change and the opportunities it brings.