Better Than Boulders

Caroline - Marietta, Georgia

The sun beat down through the car window on me as I stared out at the scenery to my left. The Pacific Ocean was galloping under the crystal blue sky and the pine trees waved to us as we drove past. It seemed like nothing could go wrong in this moment—I was in a car with my mom, dad, and brother, winding along the coast of Northern California. We were on our way to a hotel in an area called Big Sur, which is one of the most breath-taking places in the world. We were excited to get there, and we had been sitting in the car for almost eight hours.

Soon, however, just like the pine trees waving bye to us, I had to wave bye to my hopes of getting to the hotel soon.

The car slowed as we approached a sign perched in the middle of the road, reading: “Road Closed-Under Construction.” Irritated, my dad got out of the car to examine the sign, as if that would change what it said. He walked past the sign a few steps, and then got back in the car and said, “I don’t see anything wrong with the road; I think we should just drive around it.” My brother and I agreed, only because we were tired and wanted to get there. But mother always knows best, and my mom didn’t like the look of this. So we grudgingly turned around in search of an alternate route.

After three hours more of winding California coastline, we arrived at the hotel, aggravated and tired. Since it was too late to do the activities planned for the day, we settled into the hotel room to watch the news.

My jaw dropped as the news reporter told of multiple giant boulders that tumbled down the mountain and landed on a winding road in Northern California—the exact road we would have driven on. I suddenly went from feeling irritated that we wasted our day due to road construction to lucky just to be alive. We could have been dead now if that road was not under construction.

Right then and there I decided that even though our vacation was slightly ruined, due to road construction, it was all for the better. I think that the road was closed for an even deeper reason—because of my family.

I believe that everything happens for a reason in life. Sometimes bad things come along and ruin our day, but I believe that there is always an underlying cause behind that event that will turn out for the better. Even though it is not always obvious what the cause is, I believe it exists. I believe bad things happen to us because they are life’s way of testing us to see if we will look for the better side of things. After all, spending three more hours in a car with my family is a lot better than being crushed by a giant boulder!