I Believe In Friends

Melissa - Marietta, Georgia

Shoes. They come in all shapes, sizes, styles, and colors. Different shoes serve different purposes, but all shoes have a few things in common—they are sturdy, supportive, and ready to embark on any journey you need to go on.

Shoes are like friends—there are all different types. Velcro shoes are the friends you meet one day and become best friends with the next day. Lace-up shoes are the friends that gradually become more reliable and trustworthy as you get to know them. Slip-on shoes are the friends that are there for you no matter what comes your way. I believe in friends; I believe in all types of friends.

When my grandma passed away last summer, I was heart-broken and miserable. However, my favorite pair of running shoes, the friends who consistently step up and push me through a tough experience, were there for me 100% of the way. Whenever I heard a knock on the door, a ring from my cell phone, or my mom alerting me I had gotten some mail, my devastation was put on hold. Some of my friends would comfort me by hugging me and holding my hand. Other friends would make me laugh and smile by telling a joke. Ever since that experience, I have greatly acknowledged and appreciated all the friends in my life.

My friends pulled me through a very difficult time in my life, and soon it was my turn to return the favor. On August 9, 2008, I received a phone call from my best friend in Maryland. I heard nothing from the other side of the phone for a few long minutes, but when she finally began to talk, I could only imagine how wet her face was and how swelled her eyes were. After uncontrollable tears and words I could not comprehend, I finally understood what had happened: her friend had died unexpectedly the night before. I was on the phone with her for over four hours. It was my turn to be a pair of shoes, and I was lucky enough to be her old sandals—the friend she has not seen in a while, but whenever she needs me, I always know exactly what to do. Although I could not exactly comfort her from another state, just talking and listening to her brought a smile to her face.

Friends are like shoes in many ways, but one thing is certain: shoes come and go, but friends stay forever. Every pair of shoes gets dirty, worn out, or too small. Friends, on the other hand, are life-long treasures that will always fit just right. I value all the friendships in my life because I have learned that every friend can offer something different, and every friend is important.