Just My Kind of Luck

Rhona - Marietta, Georgia
Themes: setbacks

In the promising summer of 1989, my parents immigrated to America. Like many others, they came for opportunity, achievement, and a family-friendly environment. My dad went to college and got his PH.D in Florida, and together, he and my mother managed to find a cozy apartment beside the beach. However, luck did not bless them. My father tried vainly to get a job, but even his PH.D didn’t get him anywhere. My mother worked at a Chinese restaurant twelve hours every day, exhausting herself just to earn the minimum wage. When I was born, my parents were in a financial crisis. They did everything they could to make the little money they had last longer. My mother even denied the anesthetics offered her to save some money while giving birth to me. That was before I left, shipped away and separated from my parents at six months old to my grandparents living in China, another continent worlds away.

Their belief of not having enough money to support me cost me the first two years of my life, on the other side of the world without sight nor sound from my parents. Imagine my mother’s grief, when, two years later, she caught sight of her daughter clinging to her grandma’s leg, staring back with no hint of recognition or emotion in her eyes. Imagine the loss and resentment she felt for sending her own daughter away. Nothing could have made up for the lost time.

After I came back to America, my parents strove harder to make money and increased their efforts to find a good job. Luck came when my mother, still working as a waitress, introduced herself to one of the customers – a man who happened to be the boss of an engineering power plant. With that, my future was secured. Through a small twist of chance and plenty of effort, my parents were able to gather themselves and rise up from their misfortune. Thanks to them, I now live with my sister in a comfortable home, free from worry and placed in an environment surrounded by happiness, love, family, and friends. Looking back at the old photo albums of my young childhood moments, I see the determination and love reflected off of my parents’ faces. Undaunted by hard times, they refused to give in to hopelessness and instead continuously reached out to the future.

Not one human being can truthfully state that nothing bad has happened in his or her life. In most cases, people can’t even admit to having a perfect day, let alone a flawless life. Fate is indecisive, but adversity is inescapable, a dreaded burden all must shoulder since Eve bit the forbidden fruit, a blot on the white paper of humankind. But maybe to be lucky, you must first experience misfortune. Maybe misfortune can make you fortunate. Adversity is inevitable, but by choosing to accept its impermanence and challenge it, I believe that luck is undeniable.