Biuld them up, don’t knock them down

Jake - Cedar Point, North Carolina

I believe that being man and degrading to people is pointless. If you are kind, and pleasant when you talk to people, it makes them feel good, and it makes you feel good yourself.

It didn’t take me long to figure this out on my own, but I saw a first-hand example when I was in middle school that showed me the truth of this belief. This happened, when there was one kid who didn’t have many friends and never really talked to anyone. The reason for this was probably because whenever someone did speak to him it was normally to make fun of him or to mess with him. It seemed like he was always getting put down by other people, so I decided to try to converse with him. When I did speak to him I was nice and treated him like one of my good friends. The outcome was not what I was expecting at all. He actually didn’t talk to me. This was completely contrary to what I was expecting.

However, this is not the end of the story. Instead of giving up on him, I persevered. The next day, I spoke to him and treated him the exact same way that I did when I attempted to converse with him the previous day. I was prepared to get the same reaction from him as well. This did not happen though. Surprisingly, he was very nice and talked to me just like I was one of his good friends. I was very happy that I had succeeded. He ended up being a really cool person. From then on, I decided never to be mean or put anyone down.

From this experience I learned a very important lesson that has helped me make many new friends throughout my life. In my opinion, this lesson, which was to be kind to everyone, should be taught to a lot more people. If more people put it to use, there would be less fights and hostility between people who could potentially become friends. This is why I believe in never putting anyone down and always being kind.