Speakng Up for Your Beliefs

Ian - Cape Carteret, North Carolina

Speaking Up for Your Beliefs

I believe in speaking your mind in certain situations. I find myself gritting my teeth when I over hear conversations I have strong feelings towards, but to keep my image of silence is an uphill struggle. I choose not to speak because of the consequences they hold in living in a town like I do. However when I do, I find myself hurling a projectile of contradicting hate and intelligence, shattering skewed and biased opinions, and untrue facts. And I believe, I encourage people to do the same.

I believe in fighting for your opinions, no matter what the consequences. However, I also believe there’s a very fine line between what you can and cannot say around certain people, and if anyone has read Truly Tasteless Jokes by Blanche Knott, and thought “This will be a riot!” and turned up disappointed as you offended a good friend or family member.

This upcoming election has certainly been a tough time for me. Listening to the smut some people come up with, and the unfortunate talks of violence, has made me restless to speak up. It is a wonder how people can be so intolerant and ignorant, closing their eyes to the real truth of things, and opening them up towards racism and sexism. I can’t keep people from saying the things they do, but I believe people should stand up for themselves if they feel strongly towards a subject in question.

I believe ignorance is a handicap which keeps us from truly seeing the world for what it really is. I believe that ignorance keeps us from seeing the truth in things, and such ignorance keeps us from accepting defeat and contradiction. Subjects that relate directly to me skew my opinion towards the issue, but when I speak, I speak only the truth. I believe knowledge and solid proof will win over an argument or debate when used in your advantage. It simply takes the time and understanding to use it wisely.

Therefore I believe if there is something you feel strongly about, whether it is cancer or the economy, you should stand up for your beliefs. Do not be walked over. Do not falter; let the opinion and factual proof flow out, backed by your courage and determination which allows you to remain proud, strong, and standing.