Hope is the Greatest Gift

Morgan - Emerald Isle, North Carolina
Themes: hope

I believe in hope. And that no matter how dark a situation may seem there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

In 2007, I was fortunate enough to go to Bay St. Louis, Mississippi to help rebuild the city from Hurricane Katrina. My crew and I put up vinyl siding and myself and another girl cleaned up under the house itself. These people said volunteers like us were the hope that they needed to keep on going. With tears in me eyes, I made it my personal decision to always be that glimmer of hope for others and to help others find hope. Hope is what keeps us from falling apart as a person or a society. Without hope the world would became a dark place.

Hope helps the women fighting breast cancer, the boy without a father, and the nation fighting a war. It’s amazing that millions of people praying and hoping for a cure can inspire sick people to recover. The ALS walk, Relay for Life, and other inspirational walks or events are proof of that.

This summer I worked with kids with autism, anger-management, and down –syndrome in Manassas Virginia. The children’s ages varied from three to eleven and the intensity of their disabilities were anywhere from talking in complete sentences to barely saying their own name. Hope was alive and well at this day camp. I met a boy named A.J., the first day he kicked, punched, and cursed at me. Believe me I hoped that his attitude would change after that first day. The last day he gave me a hug, said I was nice and that I talked like a cowboy.

Personally speaking hope has helped through some of life’s struggles. My faith in my lord and savior Jesus Christ helps me in some of the hardest points in my life. Teenagers do go through difficult events and most of the time only the strong survive; hope is the strength that most of these teens hold on to.