Rock Solid Sisterhood

Morgan - Marietta, Georgia

“You don’t know what you got till it’s gone, so you paint paradise, and put up a parking lot,” croons the lead singer of the Counting Crows. This lyric is important to me because it is a prominent theme in my life right currently. I’ve been forced to learn how it feels to have something you’ve taken for granted pulled from your life.

On a hot day in August, my sister left for college on the sunny beaches of Malibu. The three hour time difference and thousands of miles have created a barrier that has left me stranded with my parents, which is a trying experience. The distance has helped me to appreciate the special bond shared between sisters that is created by love and laughter that only sisters can fathom.

My sister and I don’t seem like an extraordinary pair of sisters. I have never felt the need to gush about a deep relationship, nor has she. In fact, our sisterhood is defined more by actions than words. For example, every Friday my sister and I would stop at Quik Trip for gas, but ultimately the goings-on revolved around the convenience store. We would enter the shop and head towards wall covered in soda and smoothie machines. My sister and I would fill our 99 cent drinks with a myriad of soda combinations, ranging from overly saturated Vanilla Coke to Cherry Vanilla Mountain Dew. I was the daredevil between us because I tried the stuffed breadstick that tasted like cardboard covered in moldy Ritz-Bitz. Also, my sister would laugh at me as I ventured into the unspeakable world of gas station bathrooms. Much to her disappointment, I always came out alive and well because gas station restrooms are not the sanitational horror that they are proclaimed to be. I’ve realized that these gas station pit stops were more than just a craving for sugary soda and nasty food. These adventures were in homage to sisterhood and all things encompassed by it.

I believe in sisterhood because it has offered my something more valuable than I could have ever imagined: a person who supports me, laughs with me, and ultimately lets me be myself. Through my sister’s absence I have learned the true meaning of these words, because I have begun to notice how much I value these qualities when they are not available to me. I believe in sister hood because when all else fails, sisterhood will be my rock. Some would speculate that our sisterly bond will falter and crumble as she develops her new life and I continue to live mine at home in Atlanta, but I beg to differ. I believe that the distance will only enrich our sisterhood because she has new and exciting experiences to share, as do I, and our sisterhood is mostly based on actions, not words. I believe in sisterhood because it has provided me with a person that will always be my support, my love, and ultimately my friend.