Anything I Can Do, I Can Do Better

Nolan - Marietta, Georgia

I believe I can do better. Whether it is with school, sports, or chess, I can always improve myself. I have goals to strive for because I haven’t reached my best in anything.

Just the other day I walked into my home, as I had just gotten back from school, and I sat down. And I ate potato chips. And I read the newspaper. And I zoned out on the internet for an hour, checking my e-mail repetitively. I did all this in an effort to avoid the loathsome task ahead of me – homework. My dodging didn’t help me at all, only leading to staying up most of the night trying desperately and frantically to finish just some small portion of my homework.

Unfortunately this process has long been a habit, occurring in self-perpetuating cycles, because every night I leave more homework for the next night, making me dread starting my work just that much more. However, I started my homework as soon as I got home yesterday. This bright spot of responsibility has occurred more and more often recently, which lends faith to my belief that I can improve myself.

In when I was a freshman in high school, it suddenly dawned on me that in only four years I would be heading off to college. Up until that point, I was under the impression that I had all the time in the world to make myself as brilliant and well-rounded as I wanted to be by eighteen. I had been wasting time that could have been spent actively pursuing my suddenly not-so-long-term goals. My realization has allowed me to think about what I want to be like in my next few years. I now have some short-term goals that I pursue: I will stay active, always working in some sort of weekly physical activity, like a sport or martial art, I will take the most challenging classes it is possible to take at my school, and I will try to examine myself for bias in my communications.

With all the resources at my disposal (A loving group of family and friends, god-given talent, and easy access to information) my only real problem is myself. Fortunately, my own being is the one thing I do control.

I believe I can break old habits and improve my abilities. I believe that doing so will lead to freedom for me to pursue whatever I want to do with industry.