Circle Around

Sarah - Marietta, Georgia

Whispering behind other peoples backs, while you hurt and tell lies about others. Insulting the person in anger and using hard punches and kicks for an answer. You know it hurts you in the end. Everything that you do and say has an aftereffect. You could have prevented the effects of a boomerang if you had not thrown it in the first place.

“You stupid fatso!” my younger brother yelled at me in anger. I slowly set down the cookie that I stole from his plate. “Stupid.” “Fatso.” The childhood nightmare that I had to endure during my elementary years revived in the form of this pudgy pre-teen and for a second the words rung through my head. No one challenges my intelligence. No one would dare call me fat. My anger started up violently and the red purple of anger started to mushroom out across my face. He cringed and started to slowly back away. I liked the way he cringed; I wanted him to be afraid of me. Without thinking, I punched him in the stomach and threw him to the ground. I threw the boomerang. He was crying so hard that he started to hiccup. Still red with anger, I looked down at him. I didn’t feel sorry yet, so I walked away. The boomerang always comes back.

I sat in my room with shame and my mind continuously reverted to the image I caused. I was guilty for the look he gave me when I walked away. I somehow knew I was going to be punished rather it is in the form of my parents, who I had to face when they returned from work, or by other means that I could not sense. I groaned with realization; anger management classes were now closer than ever.

I got up from my chair, but I was stopped by the painful pop of my hip. I started to fall toward my desk, so I positioned my hand there for support; right on top of an upright thumbtack. I catapulted backwards with pain and fell over the chair head first on the open closet door. The boomerang came back as expected. I keeled over with pain and cradled my head with my right hand as the other bled through a deep puncture wound. Everything comes around and goes around. I had it coming.