Listen to Your Heart

Kineta - Marietta, Georgia

Have you ever heard the song “Listen to Your Heart?” This popular dance song says that you should “listen to your heart, there’s nothing else you can do.” Yet, several people, including myself, never do that. They feel like they are not being responsible if they do what they want. I have come to realize that if you do not do what you want to do, you will not be happy.

I had a friend name Clara who was always in a good mood. Nothing could bring her down, not a bad grade, a break up, or anything else! I often marveled at how she remained so optimistic, while I stressed over my grades and my misfortune. So, one day I finally asked her, “Why are you so happy all the time?” Her reply was something I was not expecting. Clara told me that she does whatever she wants, whenever she wants to. If she wanted to eat cake, she would eat some cake. If she wanted to watch a movie, she would watch a movie. She always put her needs first, everything else could wait. I was appalled. I had always put my desires second to everything. I would waste my day cleaning the house before I would watch a movie. Yet, by then, I was too tired to actually watch it! I pondered over this foreign idea and decided to approach it slowly. Maybe if I gradually gave in to my whims and fancies, I would enjoy life more.

And so it began, slowly but surely, whenever I wanted to do something I would do it. At first, it felt like I was shrinking away from my responsibilities, yet I soon found out that I could still do everything I wanted and needed to do. It was a wonderful experience giving in to my desires. I felt more relaxed and Clara noticed it to. She came up to me one day and told me that I had been in a good mood recently. I just had to laugh. I did not know why I was laughing, but it felt good and I wanted to. I told her that she was absolutely right; I adopted her habits and it did make me happier. I knew I still had responsibilities like school and band, yet now they did not seem as overbearing and stressful. I had found equilibrium in my life.

I am not saying that I want people to forget about work or school, but I think that everyone should occasionally stop and take a break from it. There is more to life than work and being responsible all the time. People should go out, go skydiving, ride a llama, or anything! If your heart tells you to do something, just do it!