Bright Star

Kyle - Marietta, Georgia
Themes: nature

Some people may think nothing of it: the Sun is just there and it shines. But, you cannot understand the true power of the Sun without experiencing it for yourself.

I sat on the sunny, white beaches of west Florida, staring at the coast stretching in both directions for miles. I watched my brother screaming and running around in the sand like a playful puppy chasing the seagulls. The other people on the beach kept giving me weird looks but I just ignored them. My parents were lying on the sand enjoying the view of kids chasing each other and the waves hitting the shore in a continuous pattern. I had just come to see the sunset but what I experienced was so shocking and unnerving.

I had just finished eating my dinner – chicken-breast sandwich with fresh watermelon – and my brother was jumping and prancing again. That was when it all started. I saw a difference of color in the sky. It had changed from a stunning blue with yellow ribbons to a rainbow of colors. Red with streaks of purple and orange flew across the sky like they were escaping to a faraway place, away from the drama of everyday life. The clouds reflected the lights and gave off a supernatural aura that something inexplicable was about to happen. “Wow! Pretty!” my brother exclaimed. I stared in awe as the Sun began to sink lower in the sky, getting more and more stunning as it moved. Then, the Sun reached the horizon. It displayed every possible color of the rainbow like it was using the last of its strength for a final performance before it disappeared.

In that one moment, my heart skipped a few beats. Cold. It was so cold. I had gone into shock. It felt that without the Sun all the happiness had been drained and sucked dry. Even my brother was quiet. I was shivering, as if my blood had frozen in my veins and now my body was slowly beginning to freeze. I was scared that I would never feel the warmth of the Sun ever again. No one spoke. It was dead silent with only the sound of the waves beating the shore violently as if the Sun was the reason they were so calm before, but now, there was nothing to appease them. All of a sudden, my heart jump-started like a stalled car on the side of the road. I slowly regained feeling in my hands and feet as my blood began to flow freely again. I was still silent but everyone had begun to pack up and leave to their cars. Then suddenly, my mom called out to me from the car causing my mind to jolt back to reality. I bounded away after her with an experience that would be imprinted on my heart and mind for the rest of my life: the power of the Sun.