My secret

laura - houston, Texas

I’ve learned that although is hard to admit it I’m secretly glad my parents are strict with me.

I have a very strict mother and father. My dad is also nice, well only when he has to be. My mom shows me a lot of love by caring so much for me. Them both are always trying to find what best for me. I can’t have any types of friends, I can’t go out to clubs or parties, and they don’t let me hang out outside ‘til late. I feel like they don’t allow me to have fun. I had a very “special friend”. Rosemary was her name she was 16 and I was 15 by that time. My parents never let her into my house. They always had that feeling that she wasn’t a good friend. Parents are always right, but I never listened to them.

My friend Rosemary was very outgoing and liked to have fun. I envied her because her parents would let her do whatever she wanted, I thought that was awesome. One cold and rainy nigh, rosemary called me and asked me if I wanted to go with her to her friend’s birthday party. I had to think about it really good but then I decided that I would sneak out of my room through my window. So I did it. “I’m warning you Laura, I want you to stay away from that girl”, “ok! I would! Leave me alone!!” me and my parents argued last night. I had those quotes in my mind the whole night at the party.

It was already 2 in the morning, and I had drunk lot of beer. Rosemary knew I didn’t like to drink, but somehow she forced me to drink them. After 5 beers I stared loosing control of my self and I wanted to go home. Rosemary said she wouldn’t take me. I was begging her. She told me “chill out!!” Then I saw her lighting a rolled cigar, which I later found out that it was weed. It didn’t smell good to me so I wanted to go inside. She grabbed me by the hand and wouldn’t let me go. Her eyes were so red, she scared me. She was forcing it in my mouth and she told me to take a puff, or else she would tell my parents what I have done. I stared to worry so I took puffs. I don’t really remember how many but I definitely lost control. When I woke up in the morning I was sleeping in her house. I didn’t even remember how I got there. When I woke up I was feeling so bad, so weird. She was at the restroom. I remembered she forced me to do all that stuff last night. I was so angry, so when she came out of the restroom I slapped her so hard. She got really mad and started cursing me out. I never though she was going to do that to me. I never knew she used drugs, or that she hanged out with older bad people.

I went back home walking because I didn’t even wanted to talk to rosemary no more. On the way back I realized that my parents were always right. I started crying because I never listened to them, I betrayed them, and I felt so disappointed at my self. When I got home my mom was outside the door sitting down on the stairs, crying too. When she saw me she got so surprised to see me, she walked towards me in slow motion and told me that she was so disappointed on me too. I went inside the house running to my room. Saw my dad in the kitchen and he told me to pack my stuff. I didn’t knew what was going on but I packed them. I really thought that they were going to kick me out of the house. I got in the car with my dad and drove a very long way. I never dared my self to ask him where he was taking me. Then we arrive to my grandma’s house in San Antonio. She welcomed me inside, then my dad left without saying a word. My grandma told what was going on. She said that my parents did that because they want to pull me apart rosemary and bad friends, she said it was for my own good.

2 months passed and my parents came back for me. I received them with big hugs and lots of kisses. I thanked them for bringing me to my grandmas’ house; it really did me a lot of good. We came back to Houston. On the way back, I apologized o them for being bad. This time promised to them that I was going to be a good girl. When we arrived home, I saw rosemary hanging out by the pool along with a lot of other guys. She was smoking, and drinking. I heard that she was pregnant but her “boyfriend” left her. She dropped out of school, and also got kicked out of her house. I felt sorry for her. Then

I hugged my dad, thanked him once again for taking me to away from her, he saved my life, my future. I could have ended exactly like her, but thanks to my parents, I didn’t. Maybe if they wouldn’t of have been strict to me, I would have ended like her. Now thanks to my parents and their strictness, I’m almost finishing school, looking forward to a good future.