Never Give Up

Malcolm - Houston, Texas

The fear of defeat, and to give it everything you have, but it just wasn’t good enough has always been a main factor in my life. I was three years old; when my father first placed a basketball in the palm of my hands, and that is when my journey had begun.

I learn how to lay the ball up off the backboard, dribble between my legs, and shoot from any spot on the court. Now that I attend Lee High School my basketball coach Amount has been my inspiration thus far.

It was the fourth quarter of the second half, and my team was down by two points with ten seconds left on the clock. This was when the pressure kicked in; so coach called a timeout to see which players he could depend on in moments like this.

This was the time when he gave the team a motivational lecture about never give up, but don’t cheat your self either. That is when I could really see a different vibe in the atmosphere, and my team come together and did what was needed of us to win.

I than threw the ball in bounds to my teammate Darrel, who hit the game winning shot behind the three point line. The final score was 94 to 95; I felt my hard work had finally paid off nothing was going to get in the way of that.

It has been a struggle trying to make the transition from middle school to high school; though I found it to be a great learning experience because I’m better than I was before.

So that is why my team and I had won so many games during the regular season which lead us to the playoffs. From there we went to the state championship for the first time in three years. I know for a fact my father couldn’t be any more proud of me.