Life’s Uncertain- Eat Dessert First

Lindsay - Marietta, Georgia

I believe in eating dessert first. Life is too short and unpredictable to hold out on the things we truly desire.

As a little girl in the park I had planned to save my favorite ride for last so as to end with the best attraction. I spent the entire day roaming around the park on adventures with half the excitement as the one I had been saving. Sure enough, just as I skipped giddily over to the source of my excitement, the ride was shut down. It had been running all day providing joy to all its passengers, but I arrived too late. I had wasted my day on rides I did not even care for all to find out that I could not even ride what I had waited for all day. I realized on this day that life is not about planning and waiting for something remarkable; life requires you to be spontaneous and follow your heart wherever it takes you.

There was a girl I knew who had big dreams and the drive to reach them. I never saw her without a smile, and she always had something positive to say. She had dreamt about carrying her love of performing for the rest of her life, and now at the end of her senior year, this dream was finally becoming real. But in rehearsal, the night before the last show, one misstep and everything vanished. She came crashing down to the floor toppling over her cracked ankle with her dreams of being a dancer shattered. Lucky for her it was just an ankle, and although her dream of dancing would never come true, she still has the rest of her life to live. I saw her recently and she still carries that same joyous smile and remarkable attitude, but I know she constantly wishes that her last day on that stage had ended differently. She wants nothing more than to have one last chance to make strong finish on the dance floor. You will always want just one more try, one more chance to end on a good note, or another five minutes with someone on their death bed. Unfortunately, we don’t usually get that second chance. Therefore, we must make every moment shine bright enough to be your last.

I do not know what lies ahead in my future, but I do know where I am standing right now. Chocolate may eventually make me fat, but right now I want nothing more than that warm, soft, molten cake glaring from the window in the restaurant. I cannot worry about the boundless possibilities because the future will always be unknown. I want to be able to look back on my life with no regrets, and I cannot do that without eating dessert first!