Don’t Judge a Tub by its Surface

Jordyn - Marietta, Georgia

I believe in a warm bath. As I immerse myself into the welcoming waters, the cares of the day seem to melt away. The water soothes each aching muscle, enveloping my weary body while nourishing my inner soul. I relax, sinking deeper into comfort. I make sure to cover every inch of me, from neck to toes, just as I would drape a wool blanket on a frigid night. The tub itself could be made of plain white porcelain, chipped and stained, or a fancy Jacuzzi with all the bells and whistles. It could be crafted out of pure gold with a diamond studded faucet or could simply be a tarnished metal bucket. I could not care less what the exterior looks like or how expensive it is. The bathtub itself does not deteriorate or improve the quality of my ultra-soothing experience. The warmth that engulfs me is my true defining moment. As I close my eyes, tracing watery circles with my hand, I start to realize that life is a lot like my delicious bathwater and that pressures, such as parents, peers, and popularity symbolize the “tub”.

Happy people don’t need to have the best of everything but can make the best of everything they have. The warmth and tenderness on the inside is the key. Watching my yellow duckie bob up and down, I begin to wonder why society tends to look past the interior and base their opinions solely on the exterior, whether it be a person, place, or tub!

In the competitive atmosphere of high school, I have witnessed and even participated in the judging of others. Disregarding inner spirit and criticizing one’s “bathtub” instead, shameful remarks such as arrogant, ugly, stupid, fat, and weird are used to label an innocent stranger. I have learned, through being harshly disparaged myself, that one must test the waters first before making false accusations. Once the kindness and warmth is discovered, a friendship is formed. As my bathwater starts to cool, I rise slowly, feeling calm, rejuvenated, and ready for the day ahead.

Don’t get me wrong; I will continue to flip through fabulous fashion magazines, dream about designer dresses, and tour mansions with bathtubs fit for twelve. But at the end of the day, I will strip off my clothes, enter the same relaxing abyss, and truly believe in the power of a warm bath.