The Power of an Adrenaline Rush

Camilla - Marietta, Georgia

I believe in adrenaline. In the intense feeling that comes when nothing else matters. Shaking hands, a pounding heart, a focused mind.

I start breathing slowly as I take my sign. I look into the eyes of the pitcher and prepare to expertly lay down a bunt. It becomes a mad race to first base and I feel as though I’m an eagle, flying so fast that no one can catch me. I forget about everything else. I forget about my guilt from not caring whether I see my dad, I forget about what my mom is going to do once I leave, I forget about an upcoming test that could ruin my high school career. Nothing else matters. My heart is pumping battery acid. It is beautiful.

Adrenaline is a natural hormone that the body produces in stressful, dangerous, or exciting situations. It teaches me how to just let go and allow things to happen. It is my vacation.

With inhuman speed, I pass over the bag just before the ball reaches the first baseman. The umpire yells, “Safe!” and the simplest joy I experience comes with the sound of my drum-like heart beats and a shaking feeling of excitement.

It’s like I can do anything. I could run up a mountain or through a wall if I wanted. I could conquer my worst fear and I could never worry about anything more than getting to first base before the ball does.

My usual timid persona is a stark contrast to the boldness that empowers me when I’m overtaken by an adrenaline rush. Nothing can compare. It is the epitome of living in the moment. My mind is refreshed and everything is forgotten. Without thinking, you just act. As if the subconscious was at work instead of your mind. If only I could translate this into everyday life. Sometimes I feel like my thoughts get in the way of my actions. With adrenaline it is not a problem because everything moves so fast that there is barely time to breathe.

I believe in adrenaline because it is how I learn to just forget about everything and live with some sort of spontaneity. I want to live life like it is one big adrenaline rush.