The Future

Zenas - Marietta, Georgia
Themes: carpe diem

The January of my 7th grade school year was the last time I had a “perfect” life. I lived in a million dollar house, and I was surrounded by a family that I thought loved me. The person that I called “father” was a fairly sincere person, and did the best that he could in raising me as his son. My grandparents were unusually boisterous and active, but still warm and endearing with an occasional sense of humor. Every Saturday, we would host a party at our house, and all of the relatives from my father’s side would come. On New Year’s Day of the new 2006 year, we had a special get-together to celebrate. This would be the last time I was truly with my family. Within months, my mother and I were kicked out of the house by the same people that I regarded so highly as my family. The once cordial and sincere father I knew no longer even attempted to speak to me, and even my precious grandparents had disowned me. The family was ripped apart. The utopian life that I was once accustomed to was seized from me. This experience taught me that there are no guarantees for the future.

There are no guarantees in the future, but it does favor the well-prepared. Therefore, the word “lucky” is merely an epithet for someone that is well-prepared in the right circumstance.

As a child in elementary school, it was all too simple to reply “I will do it when I get to middle school.”

“When are you going to get better grades?” asked my mother.

“In middle school,” was my unrealistic response. When I finally arrived to middle school, mother would ask me the same question.

“I will get better grades when I’m in high school,” was my new casual answer. The problem with these answers was that there was no credibility in them. When the distant future became the immediate present, the only thing that had changed was my grade level, yet my lazy attitude remained unchanged. All too often, people use the future as a scape-goat from taking action in the present, almost as if the future is a light-year away. This mindset promotes laziness, which leads to procrastination, which ultimately leads to regret. I believe in the reality of future.

The present and the future are separated by a thin line until the future becomes the present. The “I will do it later” attitude is the type of attitude that sets up the person for regret. Too many things can occur between today and tomorrow to leave these things to chance. There should be a sense of urgency because now is the time to take action, because as the saying goes, “today is yesterday’s tomorrow,” and tomorrow is not guaranteed.