Lesson in the Moral Standard of Respect

Christian - Marietta, Georgia
Themes: respect

Lesson in the Moral Standard of Respect

I believe that if you don’t give respect, then you don’t deserve mine. Nobody deserves respect unless they can give it. A job title or income should not determine if you get respect. Respect needs to be earned by your actions. You don’t just give it out in the subway station or at the zoo. I mean by this that respect isn’t freely given out it is earned by showing moral values, commitment, and knowledge. “You have to give to receive,” my dad constantly says. In life we find ourselves constantly earning the respect of peers and friends; but ask yourself, “do people I try and earn respect from, try to earn respect from me?” Some of us will answer “yes,” many will answer “no.” The reason we answer “no” is because respect is gone.

I was recently at a restaurant with some of the football team. We stood and waited patiently while other families shuffled into the front of the line after just walking through the door. We were left in the corner constantly being reminded by our greeter, “only a few more minutes.” I decided that if I was not going to be treated fairly and respected neither did the establishment. I opted to leave the restaurant, but the team was set on eating here. We waited for another twenty minutes, while are stomachs ravaged our insides for something to eat. A few more families were seated promptly before us, but I wasn’t to a point of causing a scene. Then the greeter kindly said, “only a few more minutes.” I was outraged, impaled, ready to tear the place down, but I was still sane. I decided to walk to the Manager’s office. The large oak door with a golden plaque reading MANAGER in deep letters confronted me first. No knock was required, I was on a mission. I just walked in and started to talk to him. I told him of the situation that was impeding on our dinner time. Eventually we were seated and give fifty percent off our entire meal. I gave respect initially and was kind and courteous, the way most of us have been raised. “Yes ma’am” and “no ma’am” echoed out of my mouth, but the greeter did not want to return the respect. She decided talking to her girlfriends about the latest “hunk” while smacking her tooth with gum was more important than earning the respect of her customers.

With terrorist attacks, random gang violence, and poverty, we only have the respect of others that can keep us running our day to day lives. We need to bring respect back into society. Use my concepts to help keep respect alive. If we can all earn respect, then we will all live by moral standards that can keep our great nation together in trying times. Earn it, receive it, but never live without respect.