Lyrics of Life

Nicole - Marietta, Georgia

Lyrics to Life

I believe in music. I believe in the lyrics. The stories that they tell, and the life lessons they teach. The lyrics of a song are not simply rhyming words, but the writer’s experience. Each song is a personal story that the audience will listen to and learn from. I believe that when I’m listening to music, I’m listening to someone with more experience than me. And I’m listening to their advice through the lyrics.

Everyone knows that life is filled with highs and lows. It is the person or thing helping you through the low that send you to the high. For me it was not a person, it was music. My whole life my older sister had been there to protect me. She protected me from the harsh reality of my family. My parents were never home, my older sister always had to take care of us, and all of the stress that came with that responsibility. When I went into the sixth grade, and she left for college my life seemed to end. My parents now expected me to take on her role. At eleven-years-old I was now taking care of my ten-year-old little sister. I couldn’t handle it. I had to be a mother figure to her. I made sure she got up, got dressed, got to school, and got to all of her practices on time. All my parents did was drive her.

At the same time I was in my first year of middle school. I was getting used to having different teachers for each class. I had a lot more homework and responsibilities now that I was no longer in elementary school. Stress was building up in me, but I had no one I could go to. My older sister was gone, my parents were never around, and my little sister thought that all of this was normal.

I realized that the only thing that could take all of my stress away was the radio. When I listened to it, my life was perfect. It was just me and the music. As I began to listen more and more I learned the words. I realized that the reason I had liked the songs so much was because they were helping me cope with the stress through the lyrics. I got advice to push through and things will get better from the music. And with the lyrics I was raised to an ultimate high in life.

I now listen to music as if it was my religion. In a way it is preaching to me, giving me understanding. Some people have church. I have an Ipod. It may seem unorthodox, but that is the way I have learned to live my life. I live with my belief in music. My belief in lyrics. And my belief in myself.