One big Moment

Matthew - marietta, Georgia

One big Moment

I arrive at Dillards and wonder what will happen once I have completed my task. People watch as I make my way to the escalator leading to the children’s department; they are wondering why there are so many teenage boys and girls heading to this section of the store. I take a number and wait patiently for my name to be called. When my name is finally called I step onto the stage, perform the best that I can, and walk off the stage heaving a sigh of relief.

The audition that just took place was an audition for a musical called Les Mis. In about two weeks I receive an e-mail telling me that I have made it. I am now a part of the national tour of Les Mis. Reading that e-mail gave me the same feeling in the pit of my stomach that everyone gets when they win a game, get an A, or go on a first date. You are really happy because it is what you wanted, but you are not sure how it will affect the future.

For this show, we have five days of rehearsal and thirteen shows. The five days of rehearsals went by like lightning, and now it was time for my first show. It was amazing! The rest of the shows were just as incredible: I was on stage with people that had songs on I-tunes that I listened to. Eventually, the shows were over, however the excitement was not. Some of the leads from the show asked me and a couple other teenagers if we wanted to go to lunch with them; it was probably one of the best lunches I had ever eaten. Plus, I had a chance to ask the people that I had looked up to for so long questions about how they started their career and other things that I was curious about. One of the actors that I did not recognize said that this was her first professional show. This was also my first professional show! At that moment, I decided to switch career paths; instead of wanting to be a doctor, I wanted o be on Broadway. I believe in the power of Les Mis.

Many kids want to grow up to become doctors or teachers. Both of those career choices take dedication, determination, and a feeling of wanting to change people’s lives. That is what I want to do; just in a different way. I want to change people’s life through song and acting. I have always loved to act but because of this show, I have been sucked even deeper into the world of drama.

I believe in Les Mis. I believe that everyone should have their own Les Mis in their life. Not necessarily that show, but something that helps them make important decisions in their life. Something that will change their lives forever.