Balance is Crucial

Steve - Marietta, Georgia

Balance is an important part of life’s aspects. Nearly everything around us has balance or is in the process of achieving stability. I believe that balance can be used as an integral part of day-to-day life. With balance, life will be easier and more enjoyable.

I think people should utilize moderation to preserve nature’s balance. Clearing trees out of a forest obviously disrupts that ecosystem. Therefore, if necessary, common sense says to cut down a few trees at a time to allow the forest to replenish over time. Moderation can also be used to achieve balance in a person’s life.

Balance through moderation can be achieved by most people. One should focus purely on one subject or only academics; that would be unhealthy. Like wise focusing only on athletics or social actions could be detrimental to school performance. In the case of school, it is evident that a superb student is a well rounded and balanced one.

I juggle school, soccer, friends, and family everyday and still have the time to have fun. Whenever I don’t moderate my actions, it throws my life into chaos. On more than one occasion, I buy a book that I have been anticipating, and I have to start then. Where the obsession hurts me is during the school week. I’ll curl upon the couch or under my covers and tune everything out just to read that story. Even when there’s lots of homework to do or tests to study for, I’ll continually put then off. 7:35, “Okay I’ll keep on reading until 8:00,” I tell myself. 8:27,” How about another chapter,” and it continues into the night. My mom will come in and scream,

“Do your homework and sleep!” I’ll just say,

“Yeah mom, “and don’t do anything. I won’t stop until the story is done or it becomes too late and I am too tired to keep on reading, and normally I need a liberal amount of sleep.

This situation leads itself to many all-nighters where I voluntarily torture myself to get a story done. It isn’t something I’m proud of, but if the story is good, then it is worth it. Even if the novel disappoints me, it isn’t much of a letdown.

If I were smart, I would’ve looked ahead and waited, and I would’ve read the book in moderation over a couple of days. I could avoid the problem all together.

This is just one of many examples where poor judgment makes any life more difficult. With balance and moderation, I can have more time to have fun and enjoy different experiences. Also it is obvious that between a balanced life and an unbalanced one, which of the two is healthier.