Our Hearts are Made to be Broken

Maddy - Hope Mills, North Carolina
Themes: love, setbacks

I believe hearts are made to be broken by love. It might possibly be the only reason they exist. In order to love, you have had to have lost, and to lose someone, you have had to have loved them. We are predestined to have our hearts broken from the very start, be it your mother, father, sister, brother, lover, wife, or husband. You love, you get hurt. I am not saying that you should not love at all; you should just be prepared for heartache. By all means, love; it is the greatest feeling you could ever experience.

I have had my fair share of heartache over the years, and I am only eighteen. I have lost the ability to trust after being cheated on, abused, pregnant, and raped; all by people I loved and who I assumed returned the feeling. Just when I feel my heart cannot possibly be put back together again, along comes someone who tries to fix it, only to break it worse than it already was. I try to be optimistic and say I have gained knowledge and experience from all those situations, but it has forced me to mature faster at a younger age than most people.

Sometimes you get hurt and there is no one to blame. My mom and dad were so in love with each other they made it easy for me to believe in one day finding my soul mate. He was diagnosed with cancer after my little sister was born and passed away about three years later, when I was five. My mom was devastated and heartbroken, but she could not control the situation. It just happened. It does not grant me pity; everyone has lost someone close and dear to them at one point in their life. We are only human after all.

I do remember being happy. I know how it felt to have someone love you unconditionally. To be held tightly in someone’s arms, so close I could feel their heart beating in rhythm with my own. To be told I was beautiful no matter what I thought I looked like. To have someone there who actually listened and gave me a shoulder to cry on; someone who was always there for me and loved me no matter what I did. I have been loved, and it’s worth the hurt.

If you have ever felt pain or heartache, then you first felt love and joy. I would rather have my heart broken repeatedly and be able to experience love than to never feel its warmth.