this i beleive

Norman - Flossmoor, Illinois
Themes: tolerance

“Nowadays, we can’t be out for self, we got to free one another. Kill that racial blindfold so we can see one another.” This quote from Gym Class Heroes means a lot to me because I feel that there is a lot of hate towards certain groups due to ignorance. “Why do people judge a book by its cover and not by its pages?” I believe that people should stop thinking in stereotypes and start talking to different people and learning about them before making assumptions. If you have lived 17 years and hung with the same people your whole, and don’t know much about other types of people aside from what you see on television, you have lived a shelter life. There is so much more in the world to see, to explore than inside your comfort zone. I dislike people who are not aware of the world around them and have pre-disposition to people they know nothing about. I am an eclectic individual; I listen to a lot of different music, hang with different types of people with different backgrounds and experiences. A good example of such diversity is an artist by the name of Pharrell Williams. He is a producer, artist and fashion designer all wrapped in one. He has worked from the likes of Snoop Dogg to Britney Spears. His band called N.E.R.D is an alternative punk group. He has a clothing line which he works hand and hand with Nigo, the famous Japanese fashion designer of the “A Bathing Ape” brand. Did I mention he is African American? He has transcended the molds that most people live in and does what he truly loves to do no matter what people think of him.

I have learned this through many experiences throughout my life. When I came to my high school, I was met by a vast majority of people which I was unaccustomed to because I went to school with mainly African Americans years prior. I walked into this situation with an open mind and heart which resulted in me meeting all the great people I know and love. Another eye opener to people and getting past the first judgment was in Operation Snowball. I was in a small group with people from my school I never talked to in my life and we discussed life and the world as we knew it. I believe that it was one of the most rewarding experiences I ever had in my life.

I think that with a mindset to become eclectic and to accept and respect intellectual, social, and cultural differences.