Resisting Fears

Lindsay - Livonia, Michigan

Judgment can be defined as a positive or negative opinion towards a certain thing or person. I believe judgment can be one of the biggest concerns a person may have. Everyone always worries about being judged and not being able to act like themselves. There are many different reasons people are judged, race, gender, sexuality, and religion are just a few examples. Many people of a certain race or gender can receive different treatment than those of a different race or gender. One of the reasons I have seen the most judgment is because of sexual orientation. Those that are homosexual are judged and treated differently than those that are heterosexual.

As a senior in high school, I was required to do a long term research paper that had to deal with a world issue. My topic was gay rights in Michigan, the United States, Iran and Denmark. Throughout the year I was able to see how judgment can affect so many different types of people and even cause many to take their lives. I saw how every part of the world is affected differently by judgment. In the United States there are mixed feelings, some harsh and some lenient. In Iran there is no tolerance for homosexuals, and all face judgment and possible execution. Contrary to Iran, Denmark is the one of the most accepting countries of homosexuality and has the least amount of judgment. Even though some parts of the United States are accepting, many still feel they will receive judgment and harassment if they ever reveal their different sexuality.

My aunt has known she was a homosexual for most of her life, but she was always scared of the way she would be treated because of her different lifestyle. She thought that hiding the fact she was different would be the best way to live her life without all the judgment. My aunt went on with her life as any other heterosexual, getting married and having children. Throughout her marriage she realized how unhappy she had been and how she had lost sight of the true person living inside of her. As her marriage slowly got worse, she came to the realization that she needed to live the way that was intended for her. She should not have to go on living with the feeling that she has to hide who she is because of the wrath she might receive from the rest of the world. My aunt left her marriage and was finally able to live the way that would make her truly happy.

Now my aunt is out and able to live the way she has wanted to her entire life. She has found her comfort in life not feeling threatened by judgment. She has realized through her experience that she does not have to agree with others and just has to agree with the lifestyle she has chose for herself. My aunt was able to see that the people that truly mattered in her life are able to see her for who she is and have no judgments towards her choices. My aunt has helped me to see no matter what I believe in or who I become, I should never let the judgments of others keep me from the things I want in life.

Stories such as this are what make me believe any kind of judgment should not be tolerated. People do not realize every single human being is going to have different qualities and no two will ever be the same. People such as my aunt should not live a fake life in order to feel safe and more comforted by others. All people should feel comfortable with the life they are meant to live and should not have any regrets. My aunt will now always feel that she wasted part of her life being scared of what others thought of her lifestyle. I believe that everyone should be able to live life the way they are intended and should not have to hide any parts of the way they live.