The Power of Compasion in Nursing

Samantha - 04925, Maine

The Power of Compassion in Nursing

I believe in the power of compassion. It is funny how the word passion is in the word compassion, because I believe you have to be very passionate to be a nurse. I have to learn to not only care for myself but other people as well. There are many ways compassion fits into nursing. First of all the word compassion represents many other words associated with nursing. It is easier to have a greater respect for compassion after you have experienced it first hand, as I did with my grandmother. If nurses do not show their patients compassion then who else will?

When I look at the word compassion I see many words within it that pertain to the definition of nursing. The “C” in compassion stands for caring. This is part of being a nurse. The “O” is for observing. I will observe patients every day to be able to diagnose them and see if the treatment is working. The “M” is for medicine, a tool I will be using every day to promote wellness. The “P” is for patient because they are the core of nursing. I will have to build my care plan around my patients, because they are the most important element of nursing. The “A” stands for adaptive. As a nurse, I should always be able to adapt to my surroundings and think on my feet. The first “S” is for safety not only for me but for the patient as well. The second “S” is for spirit because, as a nurse, I want to possess a certain eagerness or determination to fulfill my duties. The “I” stands for informed because I should always have the appropriate information before I start to treat a patient. The “O” is for open because I have to open myself up to my patients so that I can build a trusting relationship with them. The finally letter “N” is for nursing, for the professionalism of the career I have chosen.

It was the word compassion that made me choose nursing as a profession in the first place. I remember being in the hospital with my grandmother in the last stages of her uterine cancer. The nurses were wonderful as they took care of my grandmother. They adapted well to the different stages of her cancer because they were observant. I know they did everything in their power to give the proper medicine to my grandmother so they could make her feel as comfortable as possible when she was dying. They made sure to communicate openly and informed us of every step in their care plan, while trying to comfort us as best they could. One nurse was even going on vacation and she knew Grammy would probably not be there when she returned. She made sure to stop in to see us before she left and made sure that we had everything that we needed. She showed us how much she cared about my grandmother and our feelings. All the nurses made us feel safe because we were confident in their care of my grandmother. I believe a nurse has to have high spirit and compassion to be able to rehabilitate patients through their illness or death. It is amazing how nurses can be compassionate towards so many people.

As a nurse, I have to remember that I am treating a human being. I have to be able to relate to them and what they are going through and even make some sacrifices along the way. Compassion is one of the biggest reasons I want to become a nurse. I want to be able to help people and their families as they go through their illness, after seeing how compassionate the nurses were with my grandmother. Even if a patient I am treating does not seem to be grateful for my compassion, deep inside they appreciate when I can give them the strength to move on with his/her life or to fight through the illness. I believe compassion also helps the nurse to build a bond with his/her patient because it shows them that the nurse does care about them. As a nurse, I have to think not only for myself, but for all patients that walk through the healthcare system. It is my duty to heal his/her mind, body, and soul. I hope, as I continue down the long road to becoming a nurse, I will always keep compassion in my definition of a nurse. It will be a prevalent tool in my own practice. Compassion is not only important in the nursing profession but for humankind as well.