Poverty is all around us

Neethu - missouri city, Texas

“Poverty is all around us”

I believe that everyone deserves a place to live. Everyday, I see people out in the

streets selling newspapers, begging constantly for loose change, or scaring people into

giving them money. Struggling because they did not have a place to call their own. I

remember a point in time that I saw so many people without a place to live. One by one I

saw them lining up at the gate waiting for food ,shelter ,and some place to call home.

I was 12 years old at the time, just a regular sixth grader working on a volunteer

project. I wanted to work would those less fortunate, so I decided to volunteer at the

missionaries of charity in Florida. My aunt Teresa worked at the missionaries of charity

and offered to drive me there. While in the car I said the rosary thanking God for giving

me everything that I have. Food , clothes, water , a brand new puppy , especially a house.

When I finally arrived I saw lines of people waiting outside. Most of them were families

with little kids about four years old. My heart was pouring with grief, and I wondered.

How did they become like this? From where did they go wrong? How many more people

are left to come? Could it be that I have been spending money lavishly? When all along I

could be saving money to donate to charity instead of spending it for myself. My life long

dream is to raise enough money to build homes for the less fortunate, that and becoming

a doctor.

When I first entered the building Sister Genevieve showed me around while my

aunt was making lunch for the many poor adults and their families. My first job was to

collect canned foods and cleaning supplies. I gave each family a bag with all the food

supplies. I realized that most of the families were from Haiti, and some of them were

hurricane victims that lost their homes.

“Neethu come to the kitchen” sister Genevieve called when I entered the room

they were millions of people sitting at the tables. “I ‘m glad I’m not one of them” I said.

While I was serving food to the homeless. I saw a little homeless girl carrying drinks to

the others instead of taking one for herself. I was touched, and I thought if a little girl

who has nothing could go out of her way to serve others when she really needed to help

herself. I could go out of my way to help others as well. In this I believe.